November 30th, 2010 9:03 PM by Wendy Thomas
Five good reasons to sell your home during the holidays Contrary to popular belief, buyers shop for homes all year round, including the holiday season. In fact, sellers who put their homes on the market during the holiday season (roughly between November and January) may have an advantage because there are fewer houses on the market so there's less competition. There are several other reasons to consider putting your home on the market during the holidays:
1. Many home buyers have extra time off during the holiday season so they have more time to look for their new home.
2. Because of the usually limited supply of homes for sale, sellers may be able to receive a higher purchase offer than expected.
3. Buyers looking for homes during the holidays are usually highly motivated to buy before the end of the year so they can get extra itemized income-tax deductions for mortgage loan fees, interest and pro-rated property taxes.
4. Festive lights and holiday decorations can help a home "show better."
5. Because January can traditionally be the month for company transfers, having a home on the market at the end of the year can capture the transferees who may not be able to wait until the Spring to buy a home.
Don't forget that any time of year, with a larger number of houses on the market, one of the most important things for a seller to do is stage their house, whether professionally or on their own. During the holidays, houses show beautifully when decorated (while tastefully done). I have sold a house within a week of Christmas during 3 of the last 4 years-- so I truly, personally feel that it's a great time to have your house on the market!